Our Disappearing Heritage

People have lived on the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador for thousands of years. The remains of their dwellings, cemeteries, work sites and waste dumps are found on ancient shorelines that today are susceptible to coastal hazards, including flooding and erosion.

Location of archaeological sites around Newfoundland. Around 18% of the sites lie within 1km of the coast. The yellow square denotes the location of the Beaches site (that is illustrated below).

Location of archaeological sites around Newfoundland. Around 18% of the sites lie within 1km of the coast. The yellow square denotes the location of the Beaches site (that is illustrated below).

For example, only about 10% of the Beaches Site in Bonavista Bay remains intact, the other 90% has been eroded primarily by wave action with the associated artifacts lost to the sea.

Beaches_timelapse_protection_Page_1

Photographs of the Beaches site, courtesy of the Burnside Heritage Foundation.  The upper two images document coastal change over a 6-year period.  Erected coastal protection of the site is visible in the lower two images.

%d bloggers like this: